Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Lot Of Blood In Mucas

Hospital, take 2

The girls were playing on the bed in the hotel room (a nice room with a kitchen corner, but one big flaw: you could hear the neighbors down as they were with us ...) . They had fun, laughed. Suddenly, I heard "Boom," and that Emily began to cry. When I raised, I immediately knew we should go to the hospital she had a deep open front on at least 4 cm. She had fallen directly on the ridge the base of the bed. Ouch! I cleaned the wound and closed, and for the second time since the beginning of the trip I took the road to the hospital with Emily for stitches. Fortunately, we were in Vientiane, the capital of Laos, and not in a backwater in the middle of the jungle. Emily choose the right places to get hurt. The International Clinic was not very far. I said that drivers of tuk-tuk would have pity on a mother and her child hurt and they would not try to m'arnaquer taking me to hospital. Error! The tuk-tuk parked in the street all asked me for an astronomical sum travel a few kilometers. (I learned later that drivers waiting in the tourist area are mainly there to sell drugs, then they are unwilling to make a run unless you pay them a cake ...) To get a fair price, must stop a tuk-tuk on the streets.
We arrived at the hospital, and I immediately noticed that the service would be very different from what we experienced at the Thai
clinic where Emily had her first accident
. We have entered a waiting room dark, where the paint flaking off the walls and the recovery of the seats were torn. It was late afternoon, there was not too crowded. After waiting a few minutes, a nurse came to see Bobo Emily and explained, in French (Vive la France colonizing!), We had to wait for the doctor, an intern.
I was already not too reassured by the place, and I was even less when I knew it would be an intern who would take care to sew my daughter. In the "operating room" where there were three other patients with us, I almost left with Emily when I saw the nurse pull the needle for suturing: it was as big as a yarn needle! "The doctor will make two stitches," explained the nurse. "Only two?" I asked. The last time
to his chin, Thailand
, she had twelve points, while the wound was about the same length. But I'm more competent than they to judge? At least they seemed to take great care to sterilize equipment. For two stitches, it was not worth the trouble of making a local anesthetic. Emily has been stitched cold, screaming (poor owl!), But at least it was not very long. And I'm not fainted, this time around.

Finally, we spent at the checkout. Total bill: $ 20, including antibiotics and paracetamol (acetaminophen no in Asia). I understood why the clinical Thai was so much more chic, with its $ 400 bill ...





Finally, we have not even taken antibiotics that we were sold. I consulted my friend e-mail nurse, Zoe, who recommended me to use the antibiotics we had brought, prescribed by the travel clinic. Ah, retirement planning ...
Ten days later, we went to remove the stitches in the "Chinese hospital" Luang Prabang, which seemed very well equipped, and where we did not wait at all before entering a small operating room. We were not responsible for early intervention. Finally, Emily has two scars souvenir of his trip to Asia!

We met up on a French family with a boy of five who had messed up his foot: he was stuck in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. This is the second Once we saw it. In Asia, children sit on the luggage rack of the bicycle of their parents, where there is sometimes a little cushion. There is often a protection that covers the wheels, but not always ... We were very careful to ensure that girls feet get stuck in the wheels. In Vietnam, there is a town where there was not find a bike with guards around wheels. We had therefore made with a cardboard box and duct tape (essential tool for such a trip). I think we did well to take precautions ...



Emily laugh while I change his dressing





By tuk-tuk to the Chinese hospital in Luang Prabang

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A fine scar in memory of Laos ...